Sewage Backup

What do I do if sewage backs up into my home or business?

First, determine if the problem affects more than half of your house. If it does, please call the City of Wilton Manors Emergency Management/Utilities Department at (954) 390-2190 and state that you are reporting a sewer backup in more than half your house. Backed up sewer lines, line breaks, sewage odors and overflowing manholes are considered an emergency.

REMEMBER TO CALL US FIRST before calling a plumber. We will check the sewer main and inform you of our findings. If the problem is not in the City sewer line, or if it affects less than half of your house, the problem is in the sewer lateral and the owner is responsible for maintaining and cleaning the sewer lateral from the building to the City sewer line (including the connection). In this event, you will need to contact a plumber or sewer/drain cleaning service. The Emergency Management/ Utilities Department cannot make a recommendation, so ask friends or neighbors for recommendations, or check the City’s “At Your Service” Directory – and, remember, it may be in your best interests to obtain several estimates.