Frequently asked Questions


Q. What should I do if I get at ticket or citation?

If you need information about a ticket or traffic citation, do not call the Wilton Manors Police Department or the police agency that issued it. Once the ticket is issued, it becomes part of the court process and is handled by the Clerk of the Courts.

The Clerk of the Courts for Broward County has an informative web site with extensive information about the resolution options for tickets and citations. You can find this information at You can even make online payments for some tickets and citations.

If a court appearance is not required (the box at the bottom of your yellow citation stating “infraction does not require appearance in court” must be checked), you have three options:

  1. Pay the citation: This is a guilty plea and points will be assessed (if applicable).
  2. Attend driving school: This is a no contest plea, pay the fine and no points will be assessed if you sign up and complete driving school within 90 days. (Note: there are limits to the number of times you can attend driving school; consult the Clerk’s web site for information).
  3. Plead Not Guilty: Consult the Clerk’s website for procedures and options for this plea.

**If a court appearance is required, you MUST appear on the date specified on the ticket.

Q. Where do I report graffiti?

A. As with any other non-emergency request, call the police department communications unit at 954-764-HELP (4357).

Q. What can I do about speeding vehicles on my street?

A. By the time you call us the vehicle will probably be gone, however, if the speeding vehicle continually returns, call our communication center at 954-764-HELP (4357) and a police unit will be dispatched as priorities warrant. If the speeding problem is one of an ongoing nature, call the Traffic Unit Sergeant at 954-390-2150 and we will determine the best way to remedy the situation.

Q. Are there noise limits in Wilton Manors?

A. You bet! City ordinance forbids certain noise levels after 10:00 PM. Further, in some areas of the City prohibitions exist concerning noise from certain types of establishments. Keep in mind, during those times of the year when the weather is cool, people tend to leave their windows open at night. If you have left your window open, the noise level may be normal and the noise you are hearing seems louder than it really is.

Q. Where can I get a copy of a police report?

A. Police reports are only available for accidents or incidents of crimes that have occurred with our city. Please visit the Records Request page for the most up-to-date information regarding obtaining public records.

Q. How much does a police report, other data, or fingerprinting cost?

A. Effective January 1, 1995 fees for requested documents are:

Computer Data Requests (crime statistics):

  • $4.50 Per quarter hour, or part thereof
  • $015. Per computer page
  • $25.00 Deposit on all requests that appear will take over 2 hours
  • Police Reports:
    • $0.15 per page (single sided copy)
    • $0.20 per page (double sided copy)
    • $0.50 per page, per side, microfilm report copy
  • Local Records Checks (on individuals):
    • $10.00 fee for local records check (computer only)
    • $11.00 fee for certified local records checks
    • $20.00 fee for extended local background checks (computer, card file, and books)


  • $10.00 for fingerprint cards - Wilton Manors residents
  • $15.00 for all other fingerprint cards - Non-residents

Q. I'm going on vacation. Will the police watch my house?

A. Yes. If you are a resident of Wilton Manors you have two options. You can fill out the Property Check Request form and mail, email or fax it to us. You can also call us at 954-390-2150. Tell the Desk Officer your that you would like to fill out a Property Check Request form. This completed form will be forwarded to the Road Patrol Supervisor who is responsible for your area. The Supervisor will prepare a Zone Alert and the information will be given to the Patrol Officers that patrol your neighborhood. Be prepared to tell the Desk Officer who will have your keys (if anyone) and who to contact in the event of an emergency.

Q. Don't the police have better things to do rather than writing tickets?

A. Traffic enforcement is a very important part of the law enforcement function. There is a direct correlation between the number of traffic tickets issued and the number of traffic accidents that occur. And it is not just the property damage loss we are concerned about. We know that by enforcing Florida traffic laws we are preventing injury and loss of life. After all, if we did not write tickets, who would?

Q. I received a call from someone representing themselves as a police officer. The caller wanted a donation. Was the call legitimate?

A. It is very likely that the caller was legit. Many police organizations such as the Fraternal Order of Police and the Police Benevolent Association hire private firms to solicit funds for them. However, if you are in doubt regarding a particular call, just say, thanks, but no thanks. For more information call our administration number and ask for the Fraternal Order of Police administrator.

Q. I want to report the misconduct of a police officer. Who should I call?

A. The Wilton Manors Police Department maintains an Internal Affairs Unit. This unit is made up of sergeants who are assigned to investigate misconduct complaints made against police officers. In order to initiate a complaint or a report of misconduct, you will have to contact the Sergeant to who the Officer reports. Your call will be held in the strictest of confidence. Call our administration desk and ask the Desk Officer to connect you with the Sergeant in charge of the officer. You may also fill out a Commendation and Complaint form online.

Q. How can I keep trespassers off my commercial property when I'm not there to do it myself?

A. Come to the Police Department and fill out a No Trespass Affidavit. Once you have filled out the sworn statement, you will be given a warning sign to post on your property.

Q. Uh-oh. Blue lights are flashing in the rear view mirror...Now what to do?

The following is an article written by Linda S. Forst


Getting pulled over by a police officer can be intimidating, frustrating and even dangerous for the motorist and the police officer. However, remembering some simple steps will help make your traffic stop as safe and as pleasant as possible. 
 Respond to the blue lights, and signal your intentions. The safest thing to do is to pull as far to the right as possible-using turn indicators to let the officer and other motorists know what you plan to do. If the roadway is clear and the officer doesn't pass you, assume that your vehicle is the one being pulled over. Drive slowly on the right until you find a suitable and safe place to stop. Drive defensively. 
 Choose a safe location to pull off the road where you won't impede the flow of traffic. You may also pull off the roadway onto the shoulder if the ground is firm. The officer will understand if you drive slowly looking for a suitable location. 
 Be aware that the violation may have occurred one or two miles before the traffic stop. This delay is due to the fact that most departments have developed strict procedures for officers to follow to ensure your safety and theirs. They're required to give the location, vehicle and occupant description, and license plate to the dispatcher. The officer is also trying to locate the safest place to initiate the stop. 
 Remain in the vehicle unless the officer instructs otherwise. Distracted motorists have been known to leave the roadway and strike vehicles or individuals at a traffic stop, causing injury or even death. 
 Listen to the officer and comply with instructions. Drivers often assume they're being stopped for a routine traffic matter, but the officer may be stopping you because your vehicle is similar to one just seen leaving the scene of a crime. Additionally, many people have warrants out for their arrest, are mentally unbalanced, or simply don't like police officers. Many officers have experienced verbal and physical confrontations as a result of traffic stops. 
 Consequently, the officer may initially be acting under the assumption that you're a safety threat. Control over the situation can be accomplished by keeping yourself and your passengers in the vehicle with your hands visible. 
 If it's a case of mistaken identity, you'll be on your way as soon as it's cleared up. If it's a traffic stop, the officer will request your driver's license, registration and insurance card. The officer may allow you to explain your actions; if so, you should speak calmly. If the officer saw you commit the violation, your statement isn't necessary. 
 If your complaint is about the validity of the citation, then it must be handled through the courts. If the contact was unprofessional, complain to the police department. Police departments have procedures for lodging complaints against officers. Departments want to know if there's a problem with an officer. 
 If you comply with the rationale behind an officer's actions by following these steps, a traffic stop can be a pleasant experience!